Our meal, which we will call Stranger Wings, is Chicken & Waffles with a twist. Let’s honor El (the heroine of Stranger Things) by making her favorite waffles topped with grilled Buffalo wings and blue cheese crumbles.
- 2 lbs chicken wings from Schuman’s Meats
- 1 box (6) Eggo Waffles
- 1 small container Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1 12-ounce bottle Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon roasted red pepper flakes
- Clean and preheat grill to 350 degrees
- Add 6 bottom ingredients to pot; place pot on grill
- Add wings to grill and cook for roughly 10 minutes per side
- Bake Eggos in oven according to instructions (425 for three minutes per side); keep warm
- Put wings in pot (with warm, blended ingredients) for two minutes then place on grill for two minutes
- Repeat step 5 for two more cycles
- Top Eggos with wings, sauce and blue cheese
The medium heat wings compliment the sweet Eggos, both in taste and texture, and the blue cheese crumbles give the dish a rich finish.
Pair this dish with Foggy Geezer IPA, which is made possible by War Pigs Brewing, a partnership between famed Indiana brewery Three Floyds (Munster) and European Craft Beer producer Mikkeller. Foggy Geezer is a big, fruity IPA that will smoothly pair with the Stranger Wings. Cheers to Indiana—home to Mike, Will, Dustin, and the rest of the crew.
The Clash’s 1982 release Combat Rock plays an integral role in the supernatural communication between brothers Will and Jonathan in season one of Stranger Things. This makes sense as humanity would greatly benefit from communicating only through albums from The Clash and disregarding social media entirely.
Purchased at Records Per Minute, the standout tracks are:
- Should I Stay or Should I Go – the fun, carefree masterpiece Green Day has been trying to write for 30 years.
- Rock the Casbah – the chart topping global phenomenon that even Will Smith couldn’t ruin.
- Straight to Hell – the track Bruce Springsteen would have written if he were English and released an album entitled Born in the U.K. (talk about Upside/Down).
Now that all the food is prepared, the IPAs are flowing, and the pregame tunes have spun out, it’s time to plop down in front of the tube and stream baby, stream!
It’s safe to say that Stranger Things avoided the sophomore slump. Our favorite group of ragtag 1980s misfits were back in the Upside/Down, battling the spooks and specters that haunt fictional Hawkins, Indiana.
Along the way there are scary, tender and funny moments, particularly those shared between Hopper (David Harbour) and Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) as their relationship is the emotional engine that drives season two.
Newcomers Sean Astin and Paul Reiser respectively bring humor and mystery to the season while additions Sadie Sink and Dacre Montgomery serve their purpose as nostalgic 1980s trope.
My only complaint about the second installment of Stranger Things is given the talent of the ensemble cast, the audience should be treated to more character driven plots and less retro Easter Eggs/callbacks (no matter how awesome they are).
There you have it, a blueprint for your Stranger Night ahead! Enjoy the drinks, food, tunes, and streaming. Just make sure you leave a few Eggos for Eleven.