The ‘Shoe is getting pretty old and nearing almost a century of use. The first game dedicated at the stadium was Oct. 21, 1922 against Michigan, although two other games were played there before it was officially dedicated. At the time of dedication, the ‘Shoe held 66,210, but 71,385 fans showed up and temporary seating was created for eager fans, according to the Dispatch. It was the first stadium built in a horseshoe shape (hence the nickname), and while the south stands now close off the stadium, it still holds that name.
Scroll To Top