UPDATE: Funeral service for OSU football player and former wrester Kosta Karageorge will be held Wednesday at 11:00 a.m.
The death of Kosta Karageorge shook Buckeye nation. A service for his death will be at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Columbus and then a private burial will be in Athens County, WOSU reported. The Franklin County coroner announced that they will be looking for signs of brain injury because of his message to his mother referencing how concussions had been messing with his head.
Previously December 1, 2014
Missing OSU football walk-on found dead
UPDATE: At a press meeting on Monday, coach Urban Meyer addressed the loss of Kosta Karageorge. “I had dinner with him a couple times and it was just such a short period to spend with him,” he said. While the experience may bring the team closer, Meyer emphasized how tragic the news was. “This is life lessons. This is so much deeper than lining up on a football field,” he said. When asked about the issue of concussions as well as how they are handled and that Karageorge had told his mom about his previous concussions, Meyer said, “this is the best group of medical people I’ve ever been around.”
Kosta Karageorge, an Ohio State football walk-on and former OSU wrestler, had been reported missing since Thanksgiving. Sunday it was announced his body was found in a dumpster near Ohio State’s campus and he appears to have died from a self-inflicted gun shot, Columbus police said. He had not shown up to practices on both Wednesday and Thursday and was reported missing. His sister Sophia had told the Dispatch that he had a history of concussions and the family believed he was upset when he had left his home. According to NBC4, he had texted his mother and said, “Sorry if I am an embarrassment, but these concussions have my head all [expletive] up.”
At the Ohio State-Michigan game the team had put up his missing person notice on the jumptron, in hopes of finding him.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY