Columbus Metro Parks are keeping a close eye on local waterways after the death of three dogs in North Carolina shook the internet Monday.
In the tragic story, three canines passed away shortly after being exposed to toxic blue-green algae while playing in pond in Wilmington, NC. That same blue-green algae is also commonly found in Ohio waters, reports NBC4i.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Metro Parks employees are closely monitoring local ponds, lakes, and rivers so if blooms with high toxicity levels are detected, the public can be notified and access to the water can be closed.
Ohio Department of Health has flagged Buckeye Lake – Fairfield as a central Ohio body of water to be avoided. Click here to view all Ohio water quality advisories.