Progress in Columbus is happening everywhere you look. From campus to the Columbus Metropolitan Library Main Branch, the scenery has drastically changed.
While we can all appreciate the changes that have helped improve our city, it’s also important to take a look back and value the landscapes that made Columbus into what it is today.
Below are six scenes from yesteryear juxtaposed to how that sites looks today. Just scroll over the photos to see the full “Before” and “After” shots!
Open Air School circa 1931
|The Open Air School was a facility for students afflicted with tuberculosis. Construction began August 16, 1927, during a time when specialized tuberculosis sanitariums, homes, and other facilities were increasing across the country.|
Station 6—Franklinton circa 1969
|Engine House #6 operated from 1880 to 1966. It was the home of Fire Department’s first emergency squad in 1934.|
Columbus Metropolitan Library Main Branch circa 1907
|An early view of the Columbus Public Library, also known as the Carnegie Library, and later known as the Main branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library. The library was dedicated on April 4, 1907, and was built using funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.|
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Mirror Lake circa 1945
|A view of Mirror Lake on the campus of The Ohio State University. The first use of the name, “Mirror Lake” occurred in the spring of 1896 when both the yearbook, Makio, and newspaper, The Lantern, used the term.|
Leveque Tower and the Statehouse circa 1927
|Leveque Tower was formerly known as the American Insurance Union Citadel. A competition was used to determine the design of the Statehouse building. Five principle architects were involved in the project with contributions from several others. The cornerstone was laid on July 4th, 1839.|
High Street in the Short North circa 1912
|To the left, the Railroad YMCA at 563 N. High St., with the Columbus Savings Bank at 561 N. High St. To the right, Troy Laundering at 548 N. High St. and the Unique Theatre at 558 N. High.|