While the Columbus Crew were sent down to Orlando to compete in a tournament to restart the season, the NHL is close to following in similar fashion, according to a report from ESPN.
According to ESPN, the NHL and NHLPA have finalized protocols that would allow for the season to start Aug. 1, with training camps resuming July 13. Play will occur in two hub locations, including Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta, according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, as told to ESPN.
That means Columbus could see its beloved Blue Jackets back in action in a few short weeks.
There’s more at stake in teams returning to NHL play than there are for the MLS teams competing down in Florida. If an agreement is reached, the NHL will skate right into a 24-team playoff.
That’s not before starting training camp, which has a target date of July 13. If all goes well, the Blue Jackets will travel to Toronto on July 25 or 26 to compete in exhibition games.
The playoffs would begin the following week with a qualifying round in which the Blue Jackets would face off against the Toronto Maple Leafs in a best-of-five series.
Players have the opportunity to opt-out of playing without being penalized.
Update: Gov. Mike DeWine has issued an order, which will go into effect tomorrow at 6 p.m., in which residents of Franklin, Hamilton, Cuyahoga, Montgomery, Trumbull, Huron, and Butler counties will be required to wear facial coverings, with children under 10 and those with a medical reason not to wear a mask being exempt.
Monday evening, Columbus City Council passed an ordinance “directing residents to wear facial masks or coverings in public spaces.” Monday’s press release from City Council stated that residents and businesses would be issued a civil citation if they’re not in accordance with the ordinance.
Here’s a breakdown of what you need to know to properly follow the ordinance:
Facial masks or coverings must be worn by residents over the age of six in all public spaces where a six-foot social distancing radius cannot be maintained.
Residents who don’t comply with the new ordinance will be issued a warning upon first violations and will face fines of $25 for second and any future violations.
Columbus Public Health will be issuing a warning to businesses for a first violation, a $500 fine for a second violation, and a $1,000 fine for a third violation.
Those who are exempt from the ordinance include
people in personal vehicles, schools, and places of worship
people with medical or behavioral conditions
children under the age of six
people actively eating or drinking
those communicating with someone hearing impaired.
The ordinance went into effect at 8 a.m. today.
The ordinance also replaces Mayor Andrew J. Ginther’s executive order on Friday, which at the time didn’t include any civil citation.
Upper Arlington, Westerville, Worthington, and Hilliard followed suit on Monday, according to a report from Columbus Business First, issuing face mask mandates of their own, which come along with the following fines:
$150 fine and a misdemeanor in Upper Arlington
Westerville businesses and vehicle operators are allowed to deny service to those who don't wear a mask
$25 fine in Worthington
$150 fine and a minor misdemeanor in Hilliard
Before the ordinance, only businesses and organizations were subject to be written up for violating Ginther’s executive order. Before Ginther issued his executive order on Friday, Dayton had already set an $85 fine for violating the city’s face covering ordinance.
The specific language of the ordinance is as follows: “Covering of the nose and mouth that is secured to the head with ties, straps, or loops over the ears or is simply wrapped around the lower face.”
“With no vaccine or cure for COVID-19, face coverings are one of the best tools we have to help protect health and prevent the spread of disease in our community,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Mysheika Roberts. “With COVID-19 cases on the rise, it is critical for everyone to wear a face covering whenever they are out in public, in addition to social distancing and washing your hands. It takes all of us doing whatever we can to protect our community during this pandemic.”
It’s a little more than a month later than expected, but Jack Nicklaus will once again host the world's finest golfers—minus their fans— at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin next week.
The 45th Annual Memorial Tournament will be held July 13-19. While originally it would have been the first PGA Tour event with fans, due to surging COVID cases, the Tour announced this week they will no longer allow fans on the course. "The safety of our public and our employees is our highest priority,” said city of Dublin Director of Communications and Public Relations Sue Burness.
Outside of the course, with bars and restaurants still navigating operations under health guidelines from Gov. Mike DeWine, the Ohio Department of Health and local health agencies, Memorial Tournament-week festivities are limited.
No large events are planned at Dublin's Bridge Park, which has hosted Fore!Fest concurrently with the Memorial each of the last two years, according to Burness.
But one long-standing tradition will remain intact in 2020—The Bogey in Shawnee Hills will host a watch party throughout the week.
"The Memorial Tournament and The Bogey is a special tradition," General Manager Mark Dombek told 614. "People are going to be ready to enjoy live sports, and The Bogey has always been a place people come for the tournament."
The Bogey will have two giant video walls and stream as much of the tournament as is allowed by the tournament's broadcast partner, Dombek said.
Health guidelines are ever-changing, Dombek said, but at press time his plan was to have more than 145 new tables added outside the venue (in addition to the 46 new outdoor tables The Bogey added when it re-opened in May), including in the parking lot, which will be barricaded to accommodate the additional tables. A tent will also be set up, so some tables will be covered.
"We're going to fully utilize all of our available space," Dombek said.
Current guidelines still prohibit standing in common areas in bars and restaurants, Dombek said, so patrons will be asked to rent the tables, available for groups of 4-10.
While capacity is impacted by health guidelines, Dombek said he expects to be able to welcome about 1,000 customers at a given time, including the current capacity of 178 inside The Bogey.
Dombek said his staff will enforce social distancing as much as possible, and will place hand sanitizer stations in the temporary outdoor area as well.
The Bogey will host live bands in the evenings, Dombek said, in an effort to make this week "as close to what we'd normally do."
"We've had a ton of people reaching out, asking what we were going to do. This has always been a big week for us. We're listening to our customers and letting them know we're here for as much as we can be," he said.
Visit bogeyinn.com or call 614-766-1900 for information.