Following Governor Mike DeWine’s statewide mask order reissue and 10 p.m. curfew, Columbus and Franklin county officials have redoubled their efforts to combat surging COVID-19 case numbers in Ohio by issuing a stay-at-home advisory that will go into effect on Nov. 20 at 6:00 p.m. and last for 28 days.
The state had previously issued a stay at home order (different than an advisory) as the pandemic broke out early this Spring, but this was lifted in May.
Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther addressed these issues today in a press conference.
“What we do in the days and weeks to come will determine how long this storm—COVID-19– will last in Columbus and Franklin County,” he said.
The stay-at-home advisory allows room to leave home for necessary activities—such as work, school, or for medical reasons—but asks residents to stay home otherwise. Ginther asked the city to be mindful of trips to the grocery store, limiting them to once per week, and even shopping for neighbors and friends or families if possible, in order to consolidate trips. He noted that Saturdays tend to be the busiest for grocery shopping.
“Ask yourself if you need to go out, or if you want to go out,” Ginther said.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Another tenant of the Mayor’s message to the Columbus public today was his request that residents refrain from either hosting or attending gatherings at individual homes, which is especially important with the holiday season looming.
“Do not have gatherings at your home and do not attend them at other homes. Keep your contact to your immediate household as much as possible. And yes, that means for Thanksgiving, and the holidays we all know and love in the weeks to come,” Ginther said during today’s press conference.