There is no place for hate at (614).
The editorial team has made the unanimous decision to remove the content formerly published on this page. The gravity of removing a post from our site is something we take very seriously, but we feel it is necessary in this case to ensure we are not continuing to give a platform to this group. We denounce all of the messages made by the Proud Boys, and furthermore, apologize to anyone who was belittled, attacked, or isolated by those words we wrongfully chose to publish.
The content did not meet our editorial standards and here’s why:
- We did not challenge the voice of this group, and as gatekeepers it is our duty to do so. We failed in this regard.
- We allowed an anonymous person to make a broad and inaccurate statement without context that is not consistent with our voice or purpose.
- We did not work hard enough to seek out and obtain respected voices from within our community to offer a critical lens on this sensitive topic.
We can and will do better and here’s how:
- We plan to slow down our historically quick-to-publish style.
- We plan to establish more editorial oversight by and between our content team to promote sound journalism. This includes ongoing training and education to both better our team and the information we present to you, our audience.
- We plan to employ a more thoughtful approach to future stories and work harder to get fair and honest points of view.
It is with the utmost sincerity that we apologize for allowing our platform to promote groups that are involved in hate speech.
Thank you all for your support over the years and we will strive to always seek the truth, to keep you informed, engaged, and entertained. We understand your trust in us has been eroded, and we will work hard to regain that trust.
The (614) Editorial Staff