The 38th year of the Stonewall Columbus Pride Festival is also expected to be the biggest ever.
Last year’s parade attracted more than 13,000 people, up 5,000 from 2017. And this year, Stonewall is preparing for an even bigger celebration.
With large crowds comes safety concerns, which is why Stonewall is partnering with the Columbus Division of Police to make sure everyone stays safe, reports NBC4i.
During the parade on Saturday, there will be a heavy law enforcement presence in close proximity to the parade route and throughout the city, plus increased patrols to ensure safety.
The text alert system that allows festival- and parade-goers to receive safety tips from Stonewall and police will be active all weekend long.
Opt into the alerts by texting “PRIDE” to 888-777.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Read the safety tips below from Stonewall Columbus:
- LISTEN TO POLICE AND PRIDE SECURITY – THEY ARE THERE TO KEEP YOU SAFE
- PACE YOURSELF
- STAY HYDRATED
- DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DRINK UNATTENDED
- LEAVE YOUR PETS AT HOME
- KEEP THE PARKS CLEAN
- USE THE TRASH AND RECYCLING RECEPTACLES
- PARK LEGALLY
- BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES
- TAG YOUR BAG WITH YOUR EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION (Bag Tags available at the Stonewall Tent)
- TAG YOUR CHILD WITH AN EMERGENCY CONTACT WRISTBAND (Wristbands available at the Stonewall Tent)
- QUICKLY VACATE THE PARKS WHEN THE FESTIVAL CLOSES
- OUTSIDE ALCOHOL AND COOLERS ARE NOT PERMITTED
- BE RESPECTFUL
Pride Festival kicks off Friday at Bicentennial and Genoa Park from 4:00 PM- 11:00 PM. The parade will begin on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at Poplar Avenue and High Street in the Short North followed by the second and final day of the festival.
- Washington Blvd. (between Broad and Main) through 11:00 AM on Sunday, June 16
- Town St/Rich St. Bridge/Rich St (between Belle St and Ludlow St)
- Main St (between Ludlow and Belle) with Waterford Towers Condos access through 11:00 AM on Sunday, June 16
- Civic Center Drive/Second St – (between Town and Noble – with access to 250 Civic Center) through 11:00 AM on Sunday, June 16
Click here for more information about Pride events.